Sunday 3 January 2010

The Slug and Lettuce


We'd once had a late-afternoon drink in the Slug and Lettuce, and I had thought it seemed like a place that might be worth returning to for a meal one day. However, it was usually early on Saturday afternoons when we'd gone there with that intention, only to find that the place was just too crowded to consider staying. It was obviously popular which boded well, so one Saturday in July at around 11.30am we decided to see if it was quieter. Sure enough, there were people at just one or two tables by the window, and we had plenty of options to choose from. The sofas and armchairs near the front of the pub looked more comfortable than the higher seats further back, and we chose a low table with a sofa on either side.


There were several menus on the table already, so we began studying them. I was quite surprised when a waitress came to ask us if we would like to order drinks, as I had expected to have to go up to the bar to order. We each asked for a fruit juice and then carried on looking at the food menu. There seemed to be plenty of choice, from sandwiches and wraps to burgers, salads (even one with fish cakes) and main courses. We considered chicken wraps or steak sandwiches, and a sausage sandwich with red onion for under £4 sounded quite interesting. Then I noticed the full English breakfasts, something I never cook for myself and hadn't had since I stayed in a guest house last summer. I'm not a vegetarian but I liked the sound of beans and sauteed potatoes in the vegetarian version rather than the sausages and bacon of the standard version. We ordered one of each, and asked for our eggs to be scrambled and for the toast to be made with brown bread. Tea or coffee is included in the price (£6.75 for the sausage-and-bacon version and £5.75 for the vegetarian version). As we already had our fruit juices, we asked if those could be substituted but the waitress could not apparently let us off paying the extra for the juices. I'll remember for next time. My son ordered coffee, and I decided an espresso would be quite enough for me.


The coffees came after about five minutes, along with a caramelised biscuit and two sachets of sugar each – I was a little surprised that the sugar was being rationed! I didn't actually want any in my espresso, but it just seemed rather mean not to allow customers to help themselves to sugar.


There was a wait of perhaps twenty minutes for the food, but the sofa was so comfortable that I wouldn't have minded if I'd had to wait half an hour. The music was pleasant, tasteful and not too loud, but it did seem to render the broadcasting of Sky News rather pointless, unless you wanted to read the headlines running along the bottom of the screen. The other tables towards the front of the pub (with sofas or armchairs) soon began filling up. There seemed to be quite a number of babies, some in highchairs whilst others were left in their buggies, but no small children. Delightful babies they were too – I hardly heard a peep out of them all the time we were there. Perhaps the music was just the sort that keeps babies calm and happy; they must be budding Damien Rice fans judging by what I heard.


Our breakfasts arrived, along with a bottle of Heinz Tomato Ketchup and two individual pots of butter. My son had said that he didn't want any mushroom but he got it anyway, so I swapped it for a couple of slices of sauteed potato. As far as I'm concerned that was a good deal, but he wasn't that impressed by the potato slices. At least they were nice and hot, which is more than I can say for the scrambled egg. According to the menu the tomatoes were roasted; they were pretty warm, but they didn't really look as if they had undergone much cooking. That didn't matter to me as I love tomatoes, cooked or uncooked. My son is a big bacon fan but was not impressed by the rashers he was served on this occasion. Sausages, thankfully, were given the thumbs up. I was quite happy with my vegetarian breakfast other than the temperature of the eggs.


The waitress came to ask if we would like any more drinks, but when we declined she soon brought the bill, probably thinking that our table would be occupied as soon as we vacated it. In total we paid £15.70, which doesn't seem bad for two big breakfasts, two generous glasses of fruit juice, a filter coffee and an espresso. I have to admit I don't have a huge appetite, but I didn't eat much else later that day.


My son was quite critical of the food, but I was fairly happy and would willingly go back one day for lunch or an evening meal. I might try the fish-cake salad next time; you can have one tuna and one salmon fish cake, or two of the same variety. I noticed that from Monday to Thursday you can have a sandwich-based meal and a cold drink from a certain selection (some of which are alcoholic) for just under £6. On Sundays there is a roast – which always includes beef and chicken – for around £7.50 - £8. Desserts are priced at around £4.25 except for ice cream, which I think is £3.50. Cappuccino is served in one size only at £2.30.


I enjoyed the food and I felt that the menu offered plenty of choice at reasonable prices. The sofas were very comfortable and relaxing; the music wasn't intrusive so you could easily have a conversation. It may of course be a much noisier place when it is very crowded.


I have been back several times since my first visit, and have enjoyed the fish pie, the vegetarian lasagne (made with butternut squash) and the fish cakes with salad. Food is always half price on Mondays, and if you sign up to the Slug and Lettuce's newsletter, you will receive other discount vouchers too.


I would recommend a visit, but try to pick a time when it's not likely to be too busy. Even if you don't want to eat, it's a comfortable place to go for a drink. If you have a baby, definitely don't be put off going as the little cherubs seem to enjoy spending an hour or so here.


No comments:

Post a Comment